Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Made from Scratch

3 posters

Go down

Made from Scratch Empty Made from Scratch

Post by Lolly Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:06 am

Made From Scratch

My mother never let me help much in the kitchen. As a result, my cooking ability was practically non-existent when I got married. But, I did remember mother mentioning that she did make cakes, pies and other things from scratch. So my first trip to the supermarket was to buy some scratch. I found the isle that read baking items and spent a good 15 minutes looking at everything from vegetable oil, sugar, flour and chocolate without seeing a sign of scratch. I was sure it wouldn't be with the pickles or the meat. I asked the assistant if they carried scratch. He looked at me funny and finally said, "You'll have to go to the store on the corner."

When I got there it turned out to be a feed store. I thought it rather strange, but I decided cakes were food. "Do you have scratch?" I asked the clerk. He asked me how much I wanted. I suggested a pound or two. His reply was, "How many chickens do you have? It only comes in 2lb bags."

I really didn't understand why he mentioned chickens, but I had heard mum say she made chicken casserole from scratch. So I bought 20 lbs and hurried home.

My next problem was to find a recipe calling for scratch. I went through every page of my lovely "Better Homes and Gardens" cook book - wedding gift. I looked and looked for a recipe using scratch. There I was 20 lbs of scratch,and no recipe.

When I opened the scratch, I had doubts that a beautiful, fluffy cake would ever result from such a hard looking ingredient. I hoped that the addition of liquids and heat the result would be successful. I had no need to mention my problem to my new husband. He had mentioned early in our marriage that he loved to cook and would gladly take over anytime.

One day he made a pie and when I told him how good it was, he said he had made is from scratch. That assured me that it could be done.

Being a new bride is scary and when I found out he made pies, cakes and even lemon pudding from scratch...well, if he made all those things from scratch, I was sure he had bought a 20 lb bag of scratch also. But I couldn't find where he stored it, and I checked my supply. It was still full!

At this point I was ready to give up because all the people knew about scratch except me. I decided to try a different approach.

One day, when my husband was not doing anything I said, "Darling, I wish you'd bake a cake."

He got out the flour, sugar, shortening, eggs and milk, but not a sign of scratch. I watched him blend it together, put it into a pan, and slide it into the over to bake.

An hour later, as we were eating the cake, I looked at him and smiled and said, "Darling, why don't we raise a few chickens?"

Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Mickrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Made from Scratch Empty Re: Made from Scratch

Post by Lolly Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:04 pm

lol!
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickrick Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:00 pm

Made from Scratch 1f606
 Made from Scratch 1f605
Mickrick
Mickrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickrick Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:54 am

My mother used to say something similar whenever I asked her how to cook things, Lolly.
She also often seemed to be short of a piece of kitchen equipment called 'a round toowit'.
I would ask her when we would next be having one of my favourite meals or cakes, and she would reply 'when I get a round toowit'.
Mickrick
Mickrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:32 am

Made from Scratch Il_fullxfull.2443130249_8brk
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum

Mickrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickrick Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:49 am

Lolly wrote:Made from Scratch Il_fullxfull.2443130249_8brk

Laughter 2
Mickrick
Mickrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Naughty Mitten Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:56 am

Do round tuit's fit in supermarket trollys?
Naughty Mitten
Naughty Mitten
gold
proudly made in Wigan goldaward

Mickrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum