Wigan Peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperance Bars

2 posters

Go down

Temperance Bars  Empty Temperance Bars

Post by Lolly Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:34 am

For those not common with such wording, a temperance bar was a business establishment that sold non alcoholic drinks, they where also known as sober/dry bars.
Popular temperance drinks included cream soda, dandelion and burdock, sarsaparilla, and Vimto, among others.
The Temperance Movement originated in the 19th century, with the first temperance hotel in the British Isles, opening in 1833 in Preston by Joseph Livesey.
Temperance Bars where in there highest popularity during the 19th and early 20th century, seeing a steep decline in usage in the mid 20th century. They where once common in many high streets and shopping areas in the Whole of the North of England.
Examples of Temperance Bars in Wigan were that of Dicky Balls (Platt Bridge), Whalley’s Temperance Bar (Ince), Ormerods (Atherton), Horrocks (Orrell), Gores (Hindley), Granges (Ince), Galvins (Darlington Street East)
One example of a drink from Dicky Balls, was a pint of “Hore-Hound”. A Herb that is rarely cultivated nowadays, although In its time is was renowned as a health drink and Ball’s was known for it,  it is known still that Hore Hound has benefits against digestion problems and can also be used for respiratory complaints, showing there is still usage for traditional medicinals.
The Temperance Bar, is little but memories for locals today and its national status isn’t far from that in Wigan, disappearing of the face of modern society. But still some remain, dotted around such as the likes of ‘Fitzpatrick’s 1890’ a temperance bar in Rossendale - that is declared as ‘Britain’s Last Original Temperance Bar’

Grange Temperance Bar Ince
Temperance Bars  Temper10

Whalley's Temperance bar Ince

Temperance Bars  Temper11

Dickie Balls Platt Bridge

Temperance Bars  Dickie10

The site of Galvins Temperance bar - Darlington Street East

Temperance Bars  Galvin10
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Temperance Bars  Empty Re: Temperance Bars

Post by Cadfael Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:35 pm

I used to go in Ball's in the mid 60's as a lad. The shop then mostly sold sweets and sodas. But I do remember hr still had the temperance bar at the end of the shop. It hardly ever was used. I remember we used to buy frozen cartons of Vimpto (jubbly). The carton was sealed with a metal strip the we used to dig into the ice and eat from.
Cadfael
Cadfael

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolly Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:10 pm

I remember there being one in Scholes. My boyfriend at the time use to take me for a hop beer. Or was it Dandelion and Burdock scratch
Lolly
Lolly
Platinum
Proudly made in Wigan platinum award

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum